Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thursday


Good morning!
I bet you are wondering why at 541pm I am saying good morning? Well it is to me. I work nights and am now enjoying the sunset. Crazy shift if you ask me. I thought I would share pictures of my pets today and the story of how/why I have them. Probably boring reading but they are such an integral part of who I am.

Sallie is on the left. She is a boxer/black lab mix and just about the best dog ever! She is 14 years old and came to live with us when she was 1 yr old. I was a hospice nurse and I loved this dog that belonged to a wonderful woman named Pat. I looked forward to visiting Pat due to her undying humor and this awesome dog. One day I arrive to Pat's house and she was crying. She was becoming weaker by the day and was to give Sallie to her brother. Pat told me that her brother no longer wanted Sallie and she did not know what she was going to do. I didn't even hesitate. Sallie came to our house to live that weekend. She was ornery at first but has been the most faithful, fun-loving dog I have ever owned.

Winston is the miniature sheltie sitting to the right of Sallie. We became Winston's family when Winston was 9 months old. A friend of ours purchased Winston from an Amish family and then realized he did not have time for him. That same year, my son was hit by a car and essentially bedridden for 5 months. This friend gave Winston to Brandon to keep him company. Winston is 7 years old, Brandon is 16 and loves to keep the company of girls now. :)


Bengi is my orphaned kitty. The medical Director of the Hospice I was working for found Bengi and his siblings next to their dead mother. Bengi's siblings did not survive but Bengi did and was hand raised by a veterinarian. Bengi sits on my shoulder when I am falling asleep to make sure I fall asleep and then leaves. If I am watching tv, he will put his paw over my eyes. I know he waits for me to fall asleep because when I pretend to be asleep, that is when he leaves. If I get up to go to the bathroom, he repeats the same thing until I am back to sleep again.



Kiki is my purebred Siamese. I really do not believe in buying my pets since there are so many homeless animals out there but I have this thing for blue eyes. I did not have any blue-eyed children so I could not resist. My heart melts when I am around this cat. I am definately hers. She sleeps in my arms. She sleeps in my lap. She sleeps on top of my arms when I am typing. She follows me around the house just like a dog would. She meows at me until I give her the attention that she demands.





Spencer is our special needs Kitty. Orginally I went and picked out Spencer for a friend that was looking for a tuxedo kitty. For what ever reason, (I think it was because he was a he) my friend did not want Spencer so not being able to just get rid of him, I kept him. My son fell asleep on top of him and we almost lost this handsome man due to oxygen deprivation. His eye sight is poor and he has some hearing problems. He also has had a broken right paw (when he became stuck on the bed with his claws and fought his way unstuck) and he also has had a broken right hip. He walks funny and doesn't always see where he is going.
He usually doesn't pay me much mind but lately he has been and I have had all 3 kitties sleeping on my lap when I am trying to knit.

So that sums up the furry ones that live at my home. I love them all very much. Well I have to make my family dinner. (Really hard to do since my body is saying it is breakfast time but what is a mom to do?)

Until next time..............

1 comment:

sprite966 said...

I love your pet's there so kool I love cat's and now dog's too but the cat's are just the best you must have so much fun with them I only have one of each and it is maddness at time's lol